How To import this MP

Feb 25, 2011 at 3:33 PM
Edited Feb 25, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Hello,
Because I`m strugling for 3 days now to get a result I want to open a discution and to do some step by step turorial on how to reach final step of having CentOS monitored.
Curent Status regarding CentOS:
- 2 xml files http://scxcommunity.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/changes/54201
- SCOM 2007 R2 CU4 ( 2 Enviroments; I have no clue why I have different RedHat *.rpm files on one I have 265 and on another one i have 248. )
I will try to write here all my steps, from installing a blank CentOS System to the monitoring of the System!

10) Install a CentOS Server ( do not forget to open port 1270 TCP inbound to CentOS, it will be needed)
20) Download the curent XML from the web site Codeplex
30) Download .NET Framework 2.0 SDK and install it - you will need sn.exe from this installation

If someone can help me I wolcome him!

Feb 26, 2011 at 6:52 AM
Edited Mar 1, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Hi all, finaly I have it working......

1) Install a CentOS Server.
2) Download the curent XML from the web site Codeplex
3) Download .NET Framework 2.0 SDK and install it - you will need sn.exe from this installation
4) Create a folder C:\newMP ; Copy curent MP from the SCOM instalation folder to C:\newMP ; Copy MPSeal.exe from the source installation files; Copy sn.exe to this folder ; copy the xml files that you want to seale in this folder (Microsoft.Linux.CentOS.Library.xml / Microsoft.Linux.CentOS.5.xml)
5)Create the Sealed MP Microsoft.Linux.CentOS.Library.mp
- C:\newmp>sn -k c:\newmp\PairKey.snk
- C:\newmp>mpseal c:\newmp\Microsoft.Linux.CentOS.Library.xml /Keyfile PairKey.snk /Company "BYTY"
- C:\newmp>sn -T Microsoft.Linux.CentOS.Library.mp
  =>  This is the result of the last command Public key token is <<Your PublicKeyToken>>

6) Edit the file Microsoft.Linux.CentOS.5.xml by entering the PublicToken Key at the reference for Linux.CentOS.Library MP

<Reference Alias="CentOS">
        <ID>Microsoft.Linux.CentOS.Library</ID>
        <Version>6.1.7000.273</Version>
        <PublicKeyToken>!!Here you need to enetr the PublicKyToken</PublicKeyToken>

7) Create the Sealed MP Microsoft.Linux.CentOS.5.mp
- C:\newmp>mpseal c:\newmp\Microsoft.Linux.CentOS.5.xml /Keyfile PairKey.snk /Company "BYTY"

8)Import the 2 MP in SCOM

9) Run the discovery ( clik Details at Each discovery that you do, it will tell you exactly what is worng if you have issues). Do not forget to Enable SSH based discovery!

10) Install the anget. If you rename the Redhat Agents acording to
scx-1.0.4-252.centos.5.i386.rpm
scx-1.0.4-252.centos.5.x86_64.rpm
it shoud work to automaticaly deploy the agent. At me it did not worked!!! I have copyed the agent and installed manualy. Wit pscp.exe

11) If you installed it manualy rerun the discovery. and do all the steps from there
12) Now you shoud see the agent in SCOM with the status Not Monitored
13) Create a Basic Run as account that has acces to the CentOS Server and add it to Unix Action Account and Privileged Account Profiles. I use a GW Server and from what i seen you need to set the disctibution of this Run As Account to the GW Server
14) Enable the Rest of the discovery (Physical Disks and Processors)
15) After some time you sould see the Server beeing monitored (at me it tooked some time.....)

Debuging In case is needed:
- Entropy Error when installing : http://blog.xplatxperts.com/xplat-xperts/2009/08/opsmgr-cross-platform-discovery-errors.html
- On the CentOS Server go to /opt/microsoft/scx/bin/tools/   and run the comand: ./scxcimcli -n root/scx ei SCX_OperatingSystem     It shoud retunr something
- Test port 1270 to be open to the CentOS server ( do a telnet from where you monitor the Server; Do this after you install the Agent)
- This query shoud work from there server from where tyhe monitoring is runing
winrm e http://schemas.microsoft.com/wbem/wscim/1/cim-schema/2/SCX_Agent?__cimnamespace=root/scx -r:https://<hostname>:1270 -u:<user> -p:<password> -auth:basic  -encoding:utf-8

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:40 PM
Edited Feb 28, 2011 at 10:17 PM

I got it. What a pain. The dependencies on other management pack made this ridiculously time consuming.  I find it rather humorous that Microsoft is using OpenPegasus which is opensource, but did not add out of the box support for other Open Source linux flavors. Ubuntu support would be nice. With that said I have the mp created and imported and will monitor it for a while to see what the outcome is. Thank you for the documentation ByTy.

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:51 AM

I`m glad that I was of a help.. i stougle with this for 1 week :)